This Lent, we collected board and card games to donate to bed-bound children at the Children’s Hospital at Saint Francis. Previous service projects over the past year include:
- All children in kindergarten through fifth grade are invited to join Shout for Joy! on Wednesday evenings to enjoy sing, act, and play instruments. You do not need to be a member to participate.
- Every child at Joy in preschool through fifth grade is paired with an adult in the congregation known as a “Grand-Buddy.” Relationships are formed and children learn how to interact with adults.
- The people of Joy love babies! We have created Early Steps, a program to support parents of children from birth to age three with postcards of encouragement and information, along with a Bible to commemorate the child’s first birthday.
- Every worship service includes a special time for the children to come to the front and enjoy a message just for them.
- Joy offers Sunday School for infants through adults. All Sunday School teachers are carefully selected, screened, and monitored to ensure the highest level of safety and quality in the classroom.
- Our classes are growing and our kids are learning! We meet on every Sunday at 9:45 a.m. Here’s what our children and youth are learning this semester:
Glow Worms (Infants and Toddlers): Ms. Angela helps our infants and toddlers learn that they are loved and valued. She knows that children learn through play, and incorporates stories, games, crafts, and songs into the Sunday School class.
Lightening Bugs (Preschoolers): Ms. Kailan and Ms. Shelley have taught the preschool class for several years. They make learning fun with songs, games, and stories. This year, they are learning about well-known (and some lesser known) stories from the Bible.
Sunbeams (Younger Elementary): Ms. Stephanie has years of experience in early childhood education. Together with Ms. Kathryn, the younger elementary children are learning about prayer.
Lighthouses (Younger Elementary): Ms. Amy is excited to teach this group for the first time. She and Ms. Tresa have an exciting year planned, in which they will help the children learn about Lutheranism and the Bible.
Middle School Girls Bible Study: Ms. Susan is guiding the middle school girls in a study over community.
Middle School Boys Bible Study: Led by Mr. Ryan, the middle school boys are focusing on the theme of miracles in the Bible.
High School Youth: This is Ms. Laura’s third year to teach high school Sunday School. This fall, the youth are studying the Book of Revelation.
We would love to tell you more about our programs for children and youth! Please contact Alicia Stephens, our Director of Children’s Ministries, for more information.
Check our website often for special events, such as Vacation Bible School, Back2School Community Festival, and Easter Egg Hunt.
The Nursery is for Newborns to 5 years of age, and is available during worship and before and after services. During the Sunday School hour there is “Nursery Bible Time” where toddlers are led in song, stories and crafts.